Monday, April 15, 2013

Beginner's Dishcloth

I am part of a MOPS group and for our April Mom's Night Out I have agreed to help teach the group how to crochet!  How much more fun does it get for me than to hang out with a bunch of women, eating good food, and crocheting?!?!  I had searched for a good starting project, but just didn't find much I was thrilled with.  I finally decided to write up my own dishcloth pattern.  I wanted to make sure that it gave a beginner ample time to practice the sc, because I feel once you master this, the other stitches come easy.  I also wanted to make sure it also was a pattern that worked in rows and in rounds. Below is what I came up with.  Enjoy!



Hook: H
Yarn: Sugar 'n Cream

Abbreviations:
sc = single crochet
dc = double crochet
slst = slip stitch

Chain 26
Row 1: 1 sc in second chain from hook and in each chain across. Chain 1. Turn (25 sc)
Row 2: 1 sc in each stitch across. Chain 1. Turn (25 sc)
Rows 3-28: Repeat Row 2
Row 29: 1 sc in each stitch across. Chain 3 (counts as dc). DO NOT TURN. You will now work in rounds to complete edging.

Edge:
2 dc in same stitch as chain 3 to make the first corner. Work dcs evenly across edge of piece until you reach next corner. 3 dc in corner. Now work along beginning chain, work dcs across until next corner. 3 dc in corner. Work dcs evenly across edge of piece until you reach the beginning chain 3. Join with a slst to top of chain 3. Finish off.

Flower:
Chain 4, (dc, chain 3, slst) into first chain.  (chain 3, dc, chain 3, slst) into first chain 4 times.  Finish off.   Sew to dishcloth.

betsy
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. Hello Betsy

    Nice simple stitch,very neat but very effective.
    Beginners can't go wrong starting with a dish cloth and they are so very practical too.

    keep well

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice simple stitch,very neat but very effective.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails